The Perfect Christmas Cake for the season, a recipe from our very own Lucy the Nutritionist -
It is a cake which can be made gluten free, is vegan, free of sugar and meets the needs of anyone with a nut, dairy or egg allergy. It is also pretty yum!
EASY CHRISTMAS DAY FRUITCAKE FOR ALMOST ANYBODY!
You will need:
- 2.5 cups dried mixed fruit, (sultanas, raisins, apricots, figs, pears & dates work really well). Organic if possible
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups flour, wholemeal preferably or gluten free and white will work as well
- 1tsp bicarb
- 1/2 cup sunflower or rice bran oil
- if there are no nut allergies, whole almonds, walnuts or pecans can be used to decorate the top of the cake
- In a large mixing bown or saucepan, combine dried fruit and boiling water. Soak for 2 hours or until room temperature & fruit has swelled.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees and grease a 20cm round cake tin
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl
- Make a well in the centre and add fruit, mix until combined
- Pour into cake tin, arrange nuts on top if using and pop in the oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from tin.
Serve on its own or with custard or cream if desired.
Merry Christmas Everyone!
Lucy - Nutritionist, Yoga teacher and Mum of 3